This article is a brief overview of the release date for A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) Sixth Edition and how this affects the CAPM Exam.
In addition to giving you all the dates of the PMBOK 6 release we will also give you our recommendation on which version you should use for your CAPM exam prep studies.
This article will be updated over time as PMI releases more specific release dates.
When will PMBOK® Guide Sixth Edition be released?
According to PMI, we can expect the following release dates:
- Draft Release is scheduled for the first quarter of 2017 (Jan-Mar 2017)
- Final Release is scheduled for the third quarter of 2017 (Jun-Aug 2017)
The Draft Release is mainly intended for training companies, so that we can begin updating our training materials. Students do not need to worry about that particular version at all.
When will The CAPM Exam change?
The CAPM Exam is largely based on the content found in the PMBOK® Guide. The exam changeover from version 5 to 6 is scheduled as follows:
- CAPM Exam update to PMBOK 6 will happen in Q1 of 2018 (Jan-Mar 2018)
Which version of the PMBOK Guide should I use to study?
- Are you taking your exam before Jan 1, 2018? Use PMBOK 5.
- Are you taking your exam after Jan 1, 2018? Use PMBOK 6.